Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Are You a Member of a Church?

I'm sorry I've been gone for a couple of weeks, but we were finishing our school year, after which I put together our portfolios, and last Friday we had our end-of-the-year evaluations.  I should now have more time to devote to this blog and those of you who come here seeking information.

My last post was about one of the speakers and her seminars from the C.H.A.P. Homeschool Convention that I attended at the beginning of the month, and I promised to continue with information on other seminars that I attended.  So, here we go.

Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes To Raise Sons And Daughters Who Walk With God

Reading the above book was my introduction to Voddie Baucham and his ministry.  I loved the book and highly recommend it!  He has some other great books as well, including his newest:

Family Shepherds: Calling and Equipping Men to Lead Their Homes


Voddie Baucham was at the C.H.A.P. Homeschool Convention at the beginning of May and he spoke in several seminars each day.  I attended a couple of his seminars and purchased others on CD to bring home to listen to.

The first seminar I attended that he held was "Why Your Family Needs the Church".  I am sure that this seminar made some people uncomfortable as he talked about "church" vs. "home church".  He is very knowledgeable of the Bible and has scriptures that apply to everything he talks about.

He asked the question "What is a church?"  Then he answered it, "The church is a congregation of saints, in which the Gospel is rightly taught and the Sacraments are rightly administered."

He talked about Biblical Assembly and said that it requires:
Biblical Gospel -- Historic, God-centered, Christ-centered, cross-centered, Grace-Centered
Biblical Officers
Biblical Ordinance
Biblical Discipline

He stressed, "If it is not the gospel you are hearing, you are not in a true, healthy church."

He quoted many scriptures.  I did not write the scriptures out, but wrote down all of their references.  They explain what the Bible says about church.  Here are some of them:

Ephesians 3:20-21                                                      Acts 20:24
I Peter 2:13 - 3:6 and 5:5                                           Galatians 1:6
I Corin. 15:3-4                                                           I Corin. 9:12
Mark 1:14                                                                  I Corin. 1:17
Romans 1:1                                                                Galatians 5:11
I Thess. 2:2

Ephesians 4, I Timothy 3, Titus 1 and I Peter 5

I John 2:7, 11, and 19
Matthew 18:15-20

2 Timothy 4
I Corinthians 5

Romans 12 and I Corinthians 12
Acts 2 and I Timothy 5
Titus 2

Hebrews 13:17

So, there you go, now you can study what the Bible says about church for yourself.


The second seminar, Voddie spoke at, I attended with my husband, "The Role of the Father in Home Education/Discipleship".

He talked about some of the recent movements that have attempted to teach men about their true roles in their families and he said, "Men don't train to sing together in a stadium or to join an accountability group.  They train to fight and they need to fight in their homes -- to handle their responsibilities and duties."

"If you desire the reformation of your people, turn them to their families."

"You need to be the leader of your family, even if you don't think you know more than anyone else under you.  It's not about what you know, it's about order.  It's your job."

He talked about how important it is for the husbands/fathers to know the Gospel and to know what the Gospel is not.  He also said they should know Evangelism and Discipleship.

He said, "This is not about manipulation."

He said that everything he shared in this seminar is in his new book, which I have pictured above.

We have high regard for Voddie Baucham and his teachings and recommend his books.  If you want to know more about Voddie, you can visit:  http://www.gracefamilybaptist.net/voddie-baucham-ministries/ or you can read some blog posts he's written at:   http://www.gracefamilybaptist.net/voddie-baucham-ministries/blog/

No comments:

Post a Comment